on the outside you’re like:
but inside you’re like:
What They did not want you to ever find out is that your generation, the generation born between 1980-1990, actually outnumbers the Baby Boomers. They knew that if you ever turned your eye towards political reform, you could change the world.
They tried to keep you sated on vapid television shows and vapid music. They cut off your education and fed you brain candy. They took away your music and gave you Top Ten pop stations. They cut off your art and replaced it with endless reality shows for you to plug into, hoping you would sit quietly by as They ran the world. I think They thought you were too dumb to notice.
Indeed, I thought They had won.
But I watched you occupy the capital of Wisconsin. I see you today as you occupy Wall Street. And I see a spark, a glimmer of the glorious new age that is yours. A changing of the guard, a guard that has stood for entirely too long and needs your young legs to take his place.
I watch you turn away from what is easy and stand up for what is right. I see you understand we as a society are only as strong as our weakest link. I see you wise beyond your years. And I am proud. Give ‘em hell, kids. You are beautiful.
How to tell if you are "ancient": Documentations of babysitting the newer generation PART 2
- Me: "NSync was a boy-band of the 1990s. When I grew up. They had no instruments. Just singing and choreographed dance numbers. Which we memorized, duplicated, and later denied ever knowing."
- Lindie: "How old ARE you?!?"
- Me: "Let me put it this way. I was around for the debut of Kidz Bop 1!!!"
- Lindie: "YOU'RE ANCIENT!"
- Me: HEADDESK
- Lindie: ".....so were NSync on the Kidz Bop CD?"
- Me: " *still headdesking* *grumble grumble* IT WAS A TAPE. AND YES THEY WERE."
- Lindie: "What's a 'tape'?"
- Me: "AAAAAAAAAAARRRG!!!"